Thursday, May 5, 2011

"I Don't want to get in the middle"

I have heard this recently.... what does this mean  -  "I don't want to get in the middle"... to me it's a cop out. If you know both parties and have gotten involved by being present in one or both of the parties lives then I hate to say it but you are in the middle. Now I'm not talking just friendship, I am talking about crossing the line of being part of the initial problem, possibly inadvertently, but still a part - that is when you ARE in the middle.

The best thing you can do when this situation arises is to listen. Saying you don't want to get in the middle suggests you don't have time and the person you are speaking to is not important... when in actuality you are in avoidance mode. Third parties can be a help to certain situations and before you decide to bale do think about lending your ear. Time is the most important gift we can give to another human being.

Listening is when we become wise... Any person who is incapable of listening is incapable of growth. These types of people will never help nor support you - these are the people who use the phrase "I don't want to get in the middle of things".

If someone is speaking to you, listen... If someone is asking your advice, give it... If someone needs your help, do the best you can. All of these things involve time for another and in time we grow. It doesn't matter how old you are you never stop growing until the day you die. Think of it this way - If you were never in the middle of anything you would only have one view.

No comments:

Post a Comment