Sunday, August 7, 2011

An Hour With Charlie... by Maribeth Jordan

I printed this story last year... thought it was worth a re-print.

What do I think you should do today? Something different from your usual daily routine - it gets your blood pumping, mind thinking, and that's when life changes.

I tried that yesterday when I decided to take my kids to the lake (we never go to the lake). While there, I found a swing bench to sit and watch my kids from a far all the while admiring the beautiful lake, trees and flowers that were all so present around me. This is where I met a man who I will call "Charlie."

Charlie is an elderly man, walks with a cane and talks with a friendly, soft tone. "May I sit and swing with you?" he asks. Of course I replied with a friendly yes. I noticed Charlie seemed tired, he also seemed winded. I asked him if everything was ok. Charlie said everything was just fine now. Not knowing what he meant I continued a conversation with him about life, family and travels. Charlie had the most beautiful wife although he never really recognized it up until a year before she died. Charlie had two children who had both passed away in a car accident. He is a candid man who loved life and the people in it. As I was listening to all the stories; good, bad, funny and sad I couldn't help wondering what it must be like for him to have suffered such loss and still manage a sincere smile with a hearty laugh.

When it was time for Charlie to leave I asked if he comes here often and if I would ever see him again. Charlie replied no, he doesn't come to the lake often. This is where he used to come and sit with his wife about a year before she died. They grew closer than ever just sitting here, looking out over the lake and having some of the best conversations - something he never seemed to make time for in the earlier years. He stated he wanted to have one last memory of her here on earth because he would be seeing her soon. "What do you mean?" I said with a knot in my throat. "I'm dying, and soon," he said. Charlie didn't want to see me upset or feel sorry for him. "It's all part of life," he said. "Dying is something we will all do and that is one thing we all have in common." Charlie proceeded to tell me since his children and wife had passed that death didn't scare him, he actually looked forward to it and the day he would see them again. Charlie proceeded to tell me that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. He also said life is too short to waste and that God gave us five senses to make wise use of.. SEE the beauty and recognize it; HEAR the music and glorify in it, TASTE and appreciate the sweetness, TOUCH and feel the warmth and love, SMELL the flowers because it's a scent from God.

I hugged Charlie and thanked him for his time. "Time is the greatest gift we can give someone, and it's free." he said

In that short amount of time I changed a bit. On my way home I took notice of the blue sky, the smell of the freshly cut lawns and the icecream parlor on the side of the road. "Who wants icecream?" I asked, as if I really needed to! Watching the kids drip icecream courtesy of the hot sun was a pleasure.. I used to get annoyed by the mess but now I was just happy to be there "seeing" it. Thank you Charlie...

No comments:

Post a Comment