Saturday, February 26, 2011

What's in a game?

I just finished watching my two youngest play basketball. As I sat observing the different games around me I noticed what this sport is teaching these young children. Patients, assertiveness, time management, thinking under pressure and discipline just to name a few.

Our halftime was presented by Casey Crawford tight end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spoke about setting your goals on heavenly treasures as opposed to earthly ones. How the game and the "win" is temporary but Christ is forever. His favorite verse in which he spoke often to himself and before every game is Phil 4:13 ~ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  All things... even enduring a loss because when we lose is when we need strengthened most.

We learn most during the "challenges" in life and playing a sports game is definitely a challenge. Don't be afraid of getting hurt or losing or messing up.. like Micheal Jordan once said ~
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Get involved and teach your children it's OK to lose as long as they did their best and can take something of value or lesson out of it. If your child/children are not involved in sports you can still teach them lessons in simple board or card games. Aside from the lessons being taught it is the memory they will have of you spending your time taking an interest in them by watching the game. What kid doesn't like to have attention lavished on themselves? One fond memory I have of my father is looking over my shoulder and seeing him standing on the sidelines - watching me!

The time my father spent on me are memories that are becoming clearer and more appreciated more then ever now that he is gone.

Get in the game of life, learn what you can, teach others what you have learned and always thank another for their time.

Simple activity ideas for spending time with your children (that they will cherish and remember) include but are not limited to:

- Take them to the park and shoot some hoop.
- Teach them how to play a card game, play with them.
- Father's - let your son watch you shave and teach him how.
- Mother's - bake with your children... who cares about the mess!
- Watch a movie together. 
- Mother's - do your daughter's makeup or hair for fun.. how about a manicure?
- Have devotions and leave an open discussion afterwards.
- When is the last time you had a meal with your child? Take them to McDonald's!

The list can go on and I encourage you to leave ideas on how you spend time with your child.

Have a blessed Saturday!




No comments:

Post a Comment